Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour Q

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour Q
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 21:14:02 EEST

>I was unable to reach the address listed in Ardour's author file, and

why? what was the error?

>wondered if maybe someone here could answer an install question on it?
>Basically, I have libsndfile installed via rpm, and I can guarantee it
>exists:
># ldconfig -p | grep libsndfile
> libsndfile.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.0
> libsndfile.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libsndfile.so.0
>
>Yet ./configure is broken for ardour-0.99.8:
>checking for main in -lsndfile... no
>configure: error: **** ardour requires libsndfile, but it doesn't appear
>to be installed

<nice response>
you probably don't have the libsndfile-devel RPM installed, which
includes the things you'd need to actually *compile* applications

anyway, in general, to see whats wrong when configure fails, you need
to remember to look at the end of config.log, which will provide some
clues, if not to you, then to others.
</nice response>

<not-so-nice response>

Please, would people stop using RPM's or any package system for that
matter to install libraries that they need to use with applications
that they have to compile from source? It causes so many problems. If
you are building a tool from source and it needs library X, I
energetically encourage you to fetch and install library X as a source
tarball. This will ensure several things:

   1) that you really do have all the things the library needs,
      rather than just the things someone mentioned in the spec
      file.
   2) that the things the library needs actually exist, rather than
      being listed in a package database.
   3) that the libraries are compiled with the same compiler
      and against the same header files that the rest of the
      application will be.

RPMs can be a cool way to install applications, especially statically
linked ones. They are a PITA for libraries far too much of the time.

</not-so-nice-response>

>I have tried manually forcing a check in the right directory with the
>--libdir option, but no go. Possibly ardour does not like my libsndfile
>version, but fails to give enough information about that to really know.

>Does anyone here have a version of ardour that works with Redhat 7.1? Or
>a way to force configure to accept the fact that libsndfile really is
>there?

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE RH7.X for compiling C++ applications that were
not developed on RH7.1. The problems involved in doing this are
immense. If you're really interested, join the ardour-dev mailing
list, where some other people who have tried it (and i think one of
them succeeded) can help you out.

--p