Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio
From: Linium (intent_AT_club-internet.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 18:20:10 EEST

Le Thu, 19 Jul 2001, vous avez écrit :

> Slightly oversimplified,
> Ardor is a multitrack recorder.
> Wavelab is an audio file editor. (That has limited recording capabilities.)

Since version 3.0. Wavelab is a multitrack editor too.
You can check Steinberg site for complete features list or a free
review on the web site of Sound on Sound (march 2000).

> Samplitude is a multitrack audio recorder. (No MIDI recording or editing.)

It has now basic midi recording and editing.
But don't expect to do much with the midi editor.
Samplitude is more than a multitrack audiorecorder. It is an increadible full
featured multitrack editor and can edit separate waveforms as well.

> AFAIK, there is nothing like any of those on Linux yet, and Paul
> Davis seems to not care much about adding MIDI support to either
> Ardour or LAAGA.

Midi was not in my mind in my precedant mail. I know that Logic/Cubase
integrate a mutlitrack editor. And it is the path that MusE on Linux is getting.
So there is at least one contender.

> What I *am* concerned about is that in many (most?) modern studio
> environments, MIDI sequencing is essential, and it is very important
> to integrate that with the audio recording process. Also, for various
> reasons, many plugins must have MIDI timing and other MIDI information.
> I don't know of any Linux applications that pretend to solve this issue.
>
> Jay Ts
> jayts_AT_bigfoot.com

I don't see about the Midi timing issue for plugins ?

Concerning the integration of midi and audio, it appeared to me very important
until recently. I have some midi equipments but one can do so much with audio
editing with just some samples and a bunch of plugins that i find now very
limited to compose a track with just my midi synths. But sure, it is best to
have the both world.

A friend has made an experimental track with CoolEdit Pro for a contest:
http://geoffroy.montel.free.fr/mp3/Ombres%20bercez%20moi%20(radiomix%202001)%20v1.0.mp3

It is very experimental but shows well the creative possibilities of this kind
of tools.

Linium