Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 00:19:22 EEST

In message <200107191859.LAA04328_AT_toltec.metran.cx>you write:

>> >Slightly oversimplified,
>> >
>> >Ardor is a multitrack recorder.
>>
>> slightly oversimplified :)
>>
>> Ardour is a Digital Audio Workstation. It supports
>> multitrack+multichannel recording, editing and mixing, as well as
>> things like plugin support, MMC and MTC sync.
>
>I thought I said that. :-)

Not really. The iZ RADAR 24, for example, is a recorder that doesn't
provide any (real) support for editing. likewise an ADAT
recorder. they certainly don't support mixing.

>Honestly, I would not want to start in on the design of a software
>synth or effect plugin without LAAGA having good MIDI support.

Don't hold your breath. LAAGA will never have "good MIDI support",
just as it doesn't have "good audio support". The only sense in which
these things can be supported by LAAGA are slightly optimized buffer
allocation and handling strategies. It also has builtin support for
audio port data mixing, but this can be added at run-time by a client
for other data types. mixing MIDI data streams is extremely hazardous
anyway :)

Other than that, there is no support within LAAGA for any particular
data type at all. Thats not its job. It provides mechanism, not policy
or protocol support.

Two LAAGA clients could freely exchange MIDI data to their hearts
content, and LAAGA would have no more idea of what they were doing
than if they were trading p0rn, scanned pokemon images or 64kbps MP3's
of britney. LAAGA is almost strictly content neutral.

The only thing missing right now is a shared memory buffer allocation
mechanism that can ensure that the buffers are mapped at the same
address in each LAAGA client.

--p