Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour Q

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour Q
From: D. Stimits (stimits_AT_idcomm.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 03:14:53 EEST

Andre Majorel wrote:

> On 2001-07-19 13:41 -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> > Paul Davis wrote:
> > > Please, would people stop using RPM's or any package system for that
> > > matter to install libraries that they need to use with applications
> > > that they have to compile from source? It causes so many problems. If
> > > you are building a tool from source and it needs library X, I
> > > energetically encourage you to fetch and install library X as a source
> > > tarball. This will ensure several things:
> >
> > I normally do use rpm if I can, but was born a slackware type, so
> > tarballs are my "natural" form when needed. In this case, it is not an
> > rpm problem...the error message did not mention the devel package.
> > Looking closer, including the config.log, the error looks to be in error
> > itself:
> > configure:1758: checking for main in -lsndfile
> > configure:1773: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker
> > libs/lib conftest.c -lsndfile -Llibs/lib -lsigc -lpthread 1>&5
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsndfile
> >

> > I say the error in the log is itself in error because I can easily
> > compile and use -lsndfile. ldconfig -p shows it. I don't know why
> > configure can't find it, but the gist is that without regard to any
> > headers or anything else, it is the actual lib that can't be
> > found...which is plain nuts, it is there. My guess is that the step
> > failed for some other reason, and all reasons of failure are being
> > blamed on missing -lsndfile.
> >
> > But I will take the advice and try with all source packages and also try
> > to find the libsndfile-devel and not just libsndfile. I assume there is
> > probably a header or something related, beyond -lsndfile, causing
> > failure.
>
> (I'm talking from the Debian side of the Force but I don't see
> why things would be too different elsewhere.)
>
> In general, package libfoo-1.0 includes /usr/lib/libfoo.so.1.0
> and /usr/lib/libfoo.so.1, which is a symlink to the former.

Bingo, give this man a cigar! libsndfile-devel installs a symlink. A
*broken* sym link going to nowhere. The configure script is looking for
libsndfile.so. Not libsndfile.so.0 or .1. The sym link that the devel
installed for me was:
libsndfile.so -> libsndfile.so.0.0.8
(in /usr/lib)

But there is *no* libsndfile.so.0.0.8, and the link is broken. Even so,
it allows ardour to configure. This is of course not a fault of ardour,
but of libsndfile. It needs to create a proper sym link, whereas only
the devel version does this (and does it incorrectly at that).

D. Stimits, stimits_AT_idcomm.com