Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour Q

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour Q
From: Andre Majorel (amajorel_AT_teaser.fr)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 01:06:22 EEST

On 2001-07-19 13:41 -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> Paul Davis wrote:
> > Please, would people stop using RPM's or any package system for that
> > matter to install libraries that they need to use with applications
> > that they have to compile from source? It causes so many problems. If
> > you are building a tool from source and it needs library X, I
> > energetically encourage you to fetch and install library X as a source
> > tarball. This will ensure several things:
>
> I normally do use rpm if I can, but was born a slackware type, so
> tarballs are my "natural" form when needed. In this case, it is not an
> rpm problem...the error message did not mention the devel package.
> Looking closer, including the config.log, the error looks to be in error
> itself:
> configure:1758: checking for main in -lsndfile
> configure:1773: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker
> libs/lib conftest.c -lsndfile -Llibs/lib -lsigc -lpthread 1>&5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsndfile
>

> I say the error in the log is itself in error because I can easily
> compile and use -lsndfile. ldconfig -p shows it. I don't know why
> configure can't find it, but the gist is that without regard to any
> headers or anything else, it is the actual lib that can't be
> found...which is plain nuts, it is there. My guess is that the step
> failed for some other reason, and all reasons of failure are being
> blamed on missing -lsndfile.
>
> But I will take the advice and try with all source packages and also try
> to find the libsndfile-devel and not just libsndfile. I assume there is
> probably a header or something related, beyond -lsndfile, causing
> failure.

(I'm talking from the Debian side of the Force but I don't see
why things would be too different elsewhere.)

In general, package libfoo-1.0 includes /usr/lib/libfoo.so.1.0
and /usr/lib/libfoo.so.1, which is a symlink to the former.

Package libfoo-dev-1.0 includes the headers (duh) as well as
/usr/lib/libfoo.a and, interestingly, /usr/lib/libfoo.so, which
is a symlink to /usr/lib/libfoo.so.1. It's been too long since I
read the GCC-HOWTO to remember why that file would be required.
It might be that you don't have it and ld somehow does without
it but configure doesn't.

Or it could be a bug in the configure script, that happens
sometimes.

With respect to Paul's suggestion that installing libraries from
packages is asking for trouble, I beg to differ. I'm inclined to
think that if packages cause trouble, it's that there's a bug
somewhere, either in the package or in the app. Lib packages are
not inherently broken IMHO ; they usually work for me.

I've got my asbestos longjohns on.

--
André Majorel <amajorel_AT_teaser.fr>
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/