Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 00:50:00 EEST

In message <200107192027.NAA04951_AT_toltec.metran.cx>you write:
>> > Also, for various
>> > reasons, many plugins must have MIDI timing and other MIDI information.
>> > I don't know of any Linux applications that pretend to solve this issue.
>>
>> I don't see about the Midi timing issue for plugins ?
>
>I am referring to MIDI timecode or MIDI clock data. Effect plugins
>might use the MIDI clock for a tempo-based delay, for example.
>
>Software synths obviously need to get MIDI information, including
>Note On/Off events, controllers, program changes, and such.

its debatable whether the Windows/MacOS-world solution (the host
provides the MIDI info) is better than the easier-to-accomplish one
(the plugin connects to the various MIDI data sources, and gets the
MIDI data itself). if the MIDI data source is the ALSA sequencer, this
can work well, for example, since the sequencer can multiplex data.

--p