Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour Q

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour Q
From: Nick Bailey (n.j.bailey_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 11:15:24 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> <Don't know original author...><tongue-in-cheek response>
> >Please, would people stop building libraries or binaries from source on
> >a package-based system? It causes so many problems. If you are
> >building a tool from source and it needs library X, I energetically
> >encourage you to take the fifteen minutes to make RPMs of both the
> >library and the tool. This will ensure several things:

Well, good thing your tongue was in your cheek! 15 minutes.... hmmm....

> > 1. That you really have all of the prerequisites for the library and
> >that anyone else who uses this package (maybe you on a different
> >computer) also has all of the prereqs. RPM does a fairly good ldd-style
> >analysis of packaged binaries, and uses this information to generate
> >dependencies.

I agree with everthing Paul said. I stopped using RH and made a very
painful transition to Debian for these reasons. Not that Debian is
problem-free either... but in any case, my experience has been that it is
very valuable to get a packager to do the packaging: the developer can get
on with the work and the packager can get busy making it user-friendly to
install. I actually tried to do this with Quasimodo on Debian LinuxPPC, but
because I had to use potato for stability reasons it was a bit of a
non-starter. I almost got it running though!

But I think this just means you need a better packager, not a better
developer 8-)

BTW, I was a bit alarmed that Paul said Quasimodo was dead. Is it really
dead, or just a case of "In the eyes of the ignorant they are dead, but in
truth they just sleep"?

Nick/