RE: [linux-audio-dev] packaging

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] packaging
From: Tom Newton (tom.newton_AT_convergys.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 18:27:16 EEST

This is why you need automated builds. These at least let the developers
know when something isn't building (without them having to actively "do"
anything). If you want to be a bit more brutal (at the risk of annoying
people) you can arrange for the nightly build system to send email to all
the committers when something isn't building. This is a strong incentive to
break the practice of checking broken code in.

It's a bit controversial sometimes, and it can be annoying - e.g. if one of
the things you depend upon breaks your code when you haven't changed
anything. But at least you know that there's something wrong, and at least
a new developer can look at a web page (assuming the build results are on
the web) and make a decision about whether to try building their own
version.

Tom

--

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.