Re: [linux-audio-dev] packaging

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] packaging
From: Joe Pfeiffer (pfeiffer_AT_cs.nmsu.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 04:42:36 EEST

   I don't know if this is a problem of rpm tool, or in the builder of the
   package not correctly adding the dependencies.

In the case of at least one of the distributions (I can't for the life
of me remember which one... it's not RedHat, Suse, or Mandrake) I
finally had to conclude that the packagers were deliberately being
misleading in their version numbering. I think part of Debian's
strength is that in general there aren't competing packagers of the
various packages.

I have a student who will rant at length on the technical superiority
of deb over RPM; I don't know either one's internals well enough to
make a judgement.

--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002