Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA glitch?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA glitch?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 17:58:35 EEST

>I've been playing with LAAGA, I wrote a simple client that just sends a
>440Hz sin to ALSA I/O:Output 1. It usually works fine unless you Ctrl-C
>the client, then, the next time you run it the output is garbled, theres
>still a signal there but its been distorted.
>
>occasionally it will just glitch of its own accord, then there's tell tale
>glitch at the end of the buffer when the client disconnects before the
>next one comes out distorted.
>
>Stopping engine and starting it again fixes it.
>
>I've attached the client code incase its a client bug (its broadly the
>same as Paul's ae_client.c).

its not a client bug. its a problem in the sample driver code for ALSA
in terms of how it handles xruns. i have the same thing happening in
ardour from time to time. i always assumed it was hammerfall-specific,
but i now begin to think otherwise. i'll try to contemplate it when i
get a chance. right now, i'm in the middle of some really exciting
graphical work with ardour's editor. all praise the GtkCanvas :)

i am still waiting to hear from richard furse about laaga. several
others on the list have been enthusiastic about laaga's current
design. if i can hear from, oh, maybe the GLAME folks, jMax, and a few
others, i'll move on finishing the implementation so that it works
correctly. Stefan Westerberg's input would be very valuable, since I'd
like to see a non-adversarial relationship between aRts and LAAGA.

--p