Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 16:52:38 EEST

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> >You can. Use --disable-gui and you'll get what you deserve.
>
> Heh. :) Thats not really an answer ...

:)

> >> i *am* a luddite, and i don't like GNOME-dependent audio software either.
> >
> >Its certainly better to depend on wide spread GNOME than to depend on
> >1000 unstable, nonpackaged, hard-to-compile, seperately distributed
> >libs. Can you say adour?
>
> Well, obviously, we disagree about that.

Sure :)

[lots of libs deleted]

> If you have any suggestion on how to reduce the library set, or
> improve on the functionality offered by each part, or package Ardour
> for easier compilation, or whatever, I'd love to hear about it. And
> I'm not being sarcastic.

Include your custom libs into the ardour CVS / tarball. Or at least
provide a means to do a single ./configure && make.

> I don't dislike GNOME because its big. I dislike it because it doesn't

Err, perhaps people dont understand which part of GNOME GLAME is using
- GLAME solely uses libgnomeui libgnome and libgnomesupport, it doesnt
depend on using GNOME as desktop.

> seem to me to offer anything to the kind of programs we are writing.
> Can you point to the functionality that GNOME provides for glame?

libgnomeui provides the canvas widget which is very nice, and stuff
for common message/error dialogs. Also automated menu and toolbar
management.

libgnome (or gnomesupport, dont know) provides a way to store application
config stuff, also I think the gnome help functionality is hooked there.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/