Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame
From: Alexander Ehlert (alexander.ehlert_AT_uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 17:00:19 EEST

Hi,

first of all thanks for all your constructive feedback.

> install notes you said this worked - I may have done something wrong. Also
> it should be said that I've only been using Glame for a week or so, forgive
> me for the things I've overlooked [short keys / menu's etc]...

Hmm, it only works if you configure either oss_audio_out or alsa_audio_out
as output plugins and use something newer than glame 0.4.

> wave. Most desktop studios are engaged in editing samples every few minutes
> during a normal day. This is where glame really struggles to be useful.

Yeah, hmm, that's just naming. We could add something called open in the
menu which creates a group with the wavfile in it. But, importing it makes
sense because we convert everything to float internally to allow for high
quality dsp. So you have to import and export it. But that's not really
an issue compared to open/close, it's just getting used to it. Ok, I have
to admit that the file importing(opening) gui is rather bad. But I wasn't
motivated yet to change that.

> Glame's functionality needs to be considered within this hierachy of needs:
> Most studios, home and pro, require these in an editor /multitracker /dsp
> studio:
>
> Open sample [resample / attentuate / trim
> Record sample [line in or another output from app]
> Edit sample / signal process /clean [many of these open at once]
> Multitrack session [for composition, syncing and mix down]
> Custom project / session / filternetwork

If you wanna get active in ergonomic gui design and propose some structure
that fits on our backend, go ahead :-)

> are ditching pro-tools] simply has 'open' when in 'waveform view' - since in
> that window, you're always going to be opening soundfiles...import in so
> many desktop studios represents a special function, that's why when i first
> used glame, i reached for the 'add stereo wave' item.

So if we pop up the waveeditor right away you would be happy?

> And the waveform view is nothing to smile about - black and white is a bad
> choice of rendering. High contrast schemes like this make a 10 hour session
> in the editor a strain, though the wearing of sunglasses indoors is
> particular to this field.

Agreed :)

> At this stage I realise that I loaded the wrong file[s], to get rid of it
> from the project list i have to [delete] [as opposed to the inuitive,
> 'close'] and then 'empty the
> trash' [what trash? and why should i [?] - implying that i have the option
> to revoke my decision once it's in the trash].

Thats actually a new feature because I delete some samples I made
accidentially before I saved them. But this could be made configurable in
the preferences menu.
Or a popup "Really delete file"? But that last option IMHO suxx.

> I find that there aren't even samples, rms, or 'beats' as alternative timing
> schemes - many other media packages require these time scalings for sync
> up - in this way glame further rarifies it's position as a stand-alone-tool.

Ok that goes hand in hand with the still bad wavewidget which lacks
support for all that stuff.

> There needs to be an option for resampling file in conjunction with shifitng
> bit-rates.
> eg: 48khz / 24bit > 22.05khz / 8bit. preferably with dithering and
> noise-shaping in order to maintain the integrity of the signal.
> this would enable the multimedia community to use glame for web and cdrom
> without fscking around in other apps.

Actually you can resample with rather good quality. But you have to setup
a network for that purpose. Just stream the audio into FFT->FFT_RESAMPLE->
IFFT. IMHO the quality is better than sox with polyphase resampling which
produces glitches.
Saving with other resolution than 16bit would go into exporting features.

> [looks like a recycle symbol] that I assumed probably meant 'loop' - that
> strangely means 'view all'. I couldn't and still can't find how to loop on a
> selection in glame...

You can't :(

> I can't do it in either install of glame. For this reason i can't really use
> it at all. Similarly all editors have a key-bind for play and stop!!! Why
> doesn't glame??

hmm, ok, you'll find the default keybindings in default-accels. On the
other hand it should be easy to add keybindings for that stuff. Are you
on glame-users yet?

> enough i have to then hit a second play button in a strange play control
> that pops up!!! That i found really frustrating.

Yupp :) It is.

> representation of commonly expected envelope based amplitude fade, with
> presets for bell, curved and the requisite attack/decay.

Ok, if you can explain to me in detail how that fader should look like
I happily extend it.

> useless. The worst case here is 'volume adjust', which uses [instead of
> 'dB', or 'percent'!!] 'factor' whatever that is. Here information is use
> with confidence.

True, what do you like better, dB or percent or both? Factor is just the
multiplication factor. So 1.5 = 50% increase.

Ok thanks, you're the first to actually give some decent feedback. Without
that we just don't know what's missing, what people want. And I haven't
used all those windows software on a regular basis.

Cheers, Alex

--

Delores breezed along the surface of her life like a flat stone forever skipping along smooth water, rippling reality sporadically but oblivious to it consistently, until she finally lost momentum, sank, and due to an overdose of flouride as a child which caused her to suffer from chronic apathy, doomed herself to lie forever on the floor of her life as useless as an appendix and as lonely as a five-hundred pound barbell in a steroid-free fitness center. -- Winning sentence, 1990 Bulwer-Lytton bad fiction contest.