Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 20:31:27 EEST

>All the ~multi-track~ programs I have had experience of (Cubase, Cool
>Edit Pro, and most recently, cakewalk SONAR) use the semantic 'Import',
>for a simple reason - in a multi-track project, you have N tracks, and
>any soundfile must be 'imported' to one of these (You may indeed need to
>select a track before 'Import' becomes active). Cool Edit Pro has a nice
>feature in that if you right-click in a track, the File menu appears
>with Import, and the file is inserted at the cursor point.

Yes, ardour uses "right click on track->Menu->Insert->Audio
File". this pops up a "database" of audio files. you click on the one
you want, and its inserted at the insertion cursor location for that
track. current support is for mono audio files only (since tracks are
mono).

You could use the same Menu to insert the "Selection", "Cut Buffer",
"Region" or a few other items.

>Interpreting 'Import' as format conversion is, IMO, a typical
>programmer's tinted spin on how the user thinks, or, rather, doesn't
>want to have to think. After all, you don't 'Import' a Word document
>into a word processor because it happens to be converted to Unicode,say,
>internally.

yes, thats why I prefer the word "insert" to "import".

>Of course a keyboard shortcut can be used, but you have to know what it
>is first, and preferably not requring three or four keypresses; so this
>can conflict with the goal of a shallow learning curve (emacs being the

who said a shallow learning curve was a goal?

--p