Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA name

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA name
From: Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 13:09:42 EEST

Hi,
maarten.deboer_AT_iua.upf.es wrote:

> Why change? Personally I like LAAGA. But maybe that's for being
> dutch, and used to the double-A.

I agree here - personally I don't see a need in changing the name again.
Sure, there are more "sexy" names (like "FreeWire" is) that we could
use, but the basic problem is maybe just that "LAAGA" is a new term that
has to make its way into our brains/ears for a while before everyone
accepts it as a "natural" word like, ALSA, OSS or even "Linux".

For me, "LAAGA" is fine. There is this nice tradition in the Unix world
of having applications from the same field start with the same letter
(GNU or Gnome software starting with 'g', KDE software starting with
'k', X11 apps starting with "x". "LA" (as in "Linux Audio") as the two
initial letters of applications writing for audio purposes sounds good
to me, and LADSPA and LAAGA are probably just the first two in a
continuing series of app/api names (uhmm..."gLAme" is close, but then
it's also a Gnome app :-).

Just my opinion,
Frank (on vacation for 6 days now)

PS: It's really pure coincidence, but my (still not existing) Akai
sampler data exchange project also starts with 'la' :-).