Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame
From: Iain Sandoe (iain_AT_sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 14:11:23 EEST

> User interfaces need to be intuitive.

#1 priority - preferably with:

the main (if not all) tasks right in front of you.
well-designed icons that lead you to the task directly.

> For linux
> applications it is better to satisfy the 90
> percentile. Bells and whistles should be left to
> professional software companies in competitive markets
> where the price tag and the functional inanity reach
> mind boggling levels.

not sure that functionality and intuition are mutually exclusive - but,
better have two apps linked together if you can't make one that does it all
without confusing the User.

errm... a bit like ... "doing one thing well" ?

> What is needed is good robust applications that offer
> sensible functionality with intuitive user interfaces.

HEAR! HEAR!

let's return to the days where (at least on one platform) you can do the job
without wading through fifteen layers of hierarchical menus - or resorting
to the manual - which as we all know is the "last resort for any engineer".

this all IMHO, of course...
Iain.