Re: [linux-audio-dev] Wrappers and LAAGA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Wrappers and LAAGA
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 18:37:30 EEST

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 03:40:24PM +0100, Ellis Breen wrote:
> I was wondering whether it was possible to implement LADSPA on non-Linux
> OSes, and if so, whether it has been done? For example, without breaking any
> licenses (by clever dynamic linking if necessary) could a DirectX, VST, MAS
> or TDM wrapper/adapter be written for it (if any of these provide a superset

I think it would be possibel to write a VST wrapper for example (I don't
know enough about the others), but you would loose functionality, and the
plugins would have to be recompiled.

On the subject I realised the other day that I placed my plugins under
the GPL, IIRC that means that they couldn;t be used by a non gpl
compatible app, not quite what I intended, but, oh well. I don't think
there are any non gpl ladspa hosts anyway, anyone whow what licence pd is
under?

> Another couple of questions regarding LAAGA.Would this allow softsynths to
> be synchronised with audio to sample accuracy? And how would one go about
> bouncing their output to a hard disk recorder such as Ardour? What tools are
> available to ease and customise the automation these processes?

LADSPA's not really useful for softsynths (yet), no UI and no MIDI support.

- Steve