Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 18:11:04 EEST

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> I would point out here that snd has had the same kind of capabilities
> as the GIMP in the realm of audio for many years now. One might argue
> even more power, given that it uses Guile for the scripting language.
>
> Yet nobody (well, OK, very few people) have jumped into snd and done
> all kinds of cool extensions and widgets. So before you jump to any
> conclusions about the value of extensibility, I'd like to hear why snd
> hasn't become the darling of the audio world, at least on Unix-like
> systems.

Humm, before we started GLAME I had a look at the snd codebase (at that
time the gtk port was not available) and I quickly came to the point
where starting a new project was easier than retrofitting a good backend
into snd - its way too much interwinded GUI/backend stuff.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/