Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] User Interface
From: Alexander Ehlert (alexander.ehlert_AT_uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 18:11:25 EEST

Hi,

> I would like to add that I feel it is the ideas that are more important
> than the individual apps. Each one has different strong points. Things
> progress so much faster with the sound editors if we combined these
> ideas.

Yeah thats it and sometimes two different philosophies can't be just
married with each other. Mutual exclusive.

> This is a very good idea. Seperate the gui from the guts and we have a
> very portable editing app.

Thats the point with Glame. It's model view controlled, thats why we
need a bit more time to get all the functionality that apps have, where
all the editing code is somewhere inlined in the gui.

> strong editing suite. How unrealistic is it? Is that posibility just too
> fantastic?

Yes.

> large code base. Of course it will probably mean more concessions but
> then if it is really good you just have to prove it.

It's not just contributing to some code base, someone has to think of
software architecture and all the other contributors have to stick with
that design. That is the way the linux kernel development goes as well.

> That is the Linux way.

Ah, so why do we have zillions of different shells, editors, desktops
then? Anyway this is hobby and people do whatever they like to realize
their visions. And as I said before it's not just sticking to programs
together and they have double the amount of features :)

Cheers, Mag

--

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark Twain