Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame
From: Iain Sandoe (iain_AT_sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 22:56:08 EEST

Yo Steve ... it *is* hot isn't it?

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 07:29:00PM +0100, Iain Sandoe wrote:
>> Why don't I like the <CNTL>-{x,c,v} keys on Linux & M$ - is it because they
>> are 'different' from the <CMD>-{x,c,v} on MacOS?
>>
>> Nope. It's because the <CMD> key (placed where the <ALT> key is on a PC
>> keyboard) is less of a stretch for one-handed operation.
>>
>> If I do lots of cut-and-paste (or repeated paste) on Linux or M$ I get
>> severe hand/wrist ache ... which I *don't* get on MacOS...
>>
>> so why don't we use the <ALT> key as the copy/cut/paste modifier?
>
> I find it much easier to use ctrl, I can hold it down with my little
> finger whilst pressing the appropriate key.

but ... that's my point - have you tried the alternative?
with <CMD/ALT> you can use your thumb on the modifier - which keeps the hand
in a closed position - much less OOS/RSI.

> Spot the vi user. ;)

we all have that affliction from time to time ;-))

> User pref?

yeah, I guess, that's the opposite route to a system HIG - make every app
customisable so that the user can define their own "HIG".

I suppose you could then supply sets of "M$-like, MacOS-like, LAD-like" pref
files to give people a "leg up".

Maybe in an anarchy that's the only practical way.

I wonder if we could get global agreement to use a fixed place for LAD prefs
(and to *use* them) between app writers.

ciao,
iain.