Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 14:20:10 EEST

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 08:56:08PM +0100, Iain Sandoe wrote:
> Yo Steve ... it *is* hot isn't it?

Yes, I actually felt ill yesterday. Which is funny, because I've been
trecking in both the Sinai and Sahara, and felt fine, but a 2 mile walk to
the docks in southampton... no way.

> but ... that's my point - have you tried the alternative?
> with <CMD/ALT> you can use your thumb on the modifier - which keeps the hand
> in a closed position - much less OOS/RSI.

Yes, I have used apps which enfore Alt, but on my favourite keyboard
(cherry clicky) in order to press alt+x,c,v with my left hand I have to
curl my thumb right under my second finger. Painful.

> > Spot the vi user. ;)
>
> we all have that affliction from time to time ;-))

Now, now, lets not get political. I don't take the p**s out of your one
button mice. [lie] ;)

> I suppose you could then supply sets of "M$-like, MacOS-like, LAD-like" pref
> files to give people a "leg up".
>
> Maybe in an anarchy that's the only practical way.
>
> I wonder if we could get global agreement to use a fixed place for LAD prefs
> (and to *use* them) between app writers.

Maybe globally defined interface style? I will generally go for vi style,
few chords, crypic keypresses style over, chord heavy or mouse heavy
operation.

Gnome and KDE people have standard location for config files, so it can't
be that hard ;), but it does raise the question about about where a gnome
audio app stores its prefs.

- Steve