Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re:User Interface -> An idea about presets for ladspa plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re:User Interface -> An idea about presets for ladspa plugins
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 12:34:24 EEST

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Taybin Rutkin wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Linium wrote:
>
> > At one point you will want to use a preset found in one application in
> > another one. Helas, this not possible at the moment.
> >
> > So, what about saying that now:
> >
> > 1) There is the dir: $LADSPA_PATH/presets/
> >
> > 2) It contains dirs named from the unique ID number of the ladpsa plugin.
> > ex: $LADSPA_PATH/presets/1214/ for the state variable filter of Steve Harris.
>
> This would only be good if the host application provided an interface for

In fact, providing the user with a useful hierarchy of the available
plugins (where presets are just one level down) is a thing the LADSPA
interface doesnt help to do. What is missing (somebody needs to think
of LADSPA2 which could then also define a XML spec for defining
networks and param setups) is sort of a category.

> > 3) Each of theses ID-dirs contains textfiles which are the presets.
> > One textfile for each preset.
>
> I suggest XML. Something similar to what ardour uses without the
> streams/track mute/solo information.

GLAME handles saving of networks and params via creating scheme code
that is capable of re-creating the saved network. To create a preset
just save an existing filter with the right params under another name.
So a preset is just another filter [you can choose the params you
want to expose for change].

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/