Re: [linux-audio-dev] modifiers was - what's wrong with glame

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] modifiers was - what's wrong with glame
From: Richard Dobson (RWD_AT_cableinet.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 14:31:19 EEST

Out of interest, what is the minimum or standard keyboard spec assumed
by Linux these days? I have twelve F-keys on my standard PC keyboard,
which with the usual Alt/Ctrl modifiers, gives me 34 command options (F1
always reserved for Help). VC++ uses these a lot, mirroring primary menu
commands, and I even have a little strip of paper stuck along the top of
the keyboard to remind me of the less often used functions. Never do I
have to use more than two keypresses to do most things, and of course
the most often commands just require the one key. However, my
impression is that Linux apps do not make much use of F-keys, and
everyone so far has discussed only Alt-char or Ctrl-char combinations.
Is there some ineluctable reason for this?

Richard Dobson

--
Test your DAW with my Soundcard Attrition Page!
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrwd (LU: 3rd July 2000)