Re: [linux-audio-dev] Wrappers and LAAGA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Wrappers and LAAGA
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 14:32:07 EEST

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 10:54:10PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I think it would be possibel to write a VST wrapper for example (I don't
> >know enough about the others), but you would loose functionality, and the
> >plugins would have to be recompiled.
>
> maybe, maybe not. somebody has done some neat tricks to get Buzz
> plugins (written for windows) working without recompilation under
> linux/x86 with a linux-specific tracker.

I was thinking of some of the functionality VST offers that isn't in
LADSPA, but looking at it again, it looks like it could all be worked
roung.

> before anyone gets too excited about the question of using binary VST
> plugins under Linux: the problem with VST plugins is that they just
> about always include GUI code, via libvstgui/win32/macos calls, and
> these don't exist for linux. in addition, its unfortunate but true
> that many VST plugins include OS and h/w dependent code, so there is
> little hope of doing the Buzz thing. rather sad :)

Weeeel, a lot of plugins now are released in TDM, DX and VST, so its not
much of a stretch to see LADSPA as a target too... if we had a GUI ;)

Though, while I miss some of my windows plugins, I don't miss not being
able to take the good bits out of them and cobble together interesting
hacks. Long live free software.

> >On the subject I realised the other day that I placed my plugins under
> >the GPL, IIRC that means that they couldn;t be used by a non gpl
> >compatible app, not quite what I intended, but, oh well.
>
> This isn't true. No application is written with the intent of linkage
> against your specific code, and since all LADSPA-using applications

Cool.

... [paul did you fall asleep in the keyboard? There were like several
thousand \n's after this line? sillly season obviously exists outside the UK]