[linux-audio-dev] OSS question

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] OSS question
From: Jan Weil (weil_AT_hhi.de)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 15:01:41 EEST

Hi all,

I really enjoy reading all your posts about GUI-Design, packaging and
(sometimes ;) linux audio development.

Now I have a question which probably will be answered in between.

Writing a frame based (10 ms) decoder/player, how do I ensure that the
(OSS) audio device is not blocked (still open) when my application is
killed?

In detail:
At the moment I do the following:

open device
decode frame, play frame
decode frame, play frame
[...]
close device

When my process (I do not use threads) is killed the audio device is
blocked for at least two seconds.

Do I have to 'open - write to - close' the device for every frame?

Do I have to setup a signal handler for SIGTERM to close the audio
device properly?

Best wishes,

Jan Weil

--
Jan Weil
Heinrich-Hertz-Institut für Nachrichtentechnik Berlin GmbH