RE: [linux-audio-dev] OSS question

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] OSS question
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 11:24:49 EEST

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, STEFFL, ERIK *Internet* (SBCSI) wrote:

> > Iain Sandoe schrieb:

> > the audio

> > > Ok a replied too quickly - it is (only) when you get
> > SIGTERM that you have
> > > the problem?
> > >

> > I am sorry, actually it is a SIGKILL :(
> > But a SIGTERM makes no difference.
>
> you cannot catch SIGKILL, but generally you shouldn't kill application
> using SIGKILL (only if it does not respond to SIGTERM) - precisely for that
> reason - it does not have a chance to exit gracefully.
>
> as for you problem - I guess setting a signal handler that closes audio
> device (if still opened!) is the right way to go. It should be done by the
> default exit routine though so I am not sure if you gain anything.

You're on a UNIX system, so the kernel generally cleans up after you
(i.e. it closes open fds, frees your memory, etc.), so if your soundcard
/driver is not happy with being SIGKILLed then thats a driver bug I'd
report to the appropriate place.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/