Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAD website based on PHPNuke and mailinglist proposals ...

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 15:11:24 EEST

[off-topic, just website stuff]

hello benno !

Benno Senoner wrote:

> Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>

> > hmm. not sure.
> > i don't like huge masses of tiny slashdot-style articles on a site.
> > not very readable.
> > yes for news, yes for announcements, yes for short users' comments
> > if they make sense, but discussions and q&a should stay on the
> > mailing list.
>
> that's obvious.
> I was only meaning using a forum (which is not on the frontpage) in addition to
> the mailinglist.
> But no one is forced to use a forum.
>
> > when something important comes up, people can summarize and that can
> > go on the site.
>
> Yes this should be published on the front page in form of a news item.
> Assume that someone is interested in low latency kernels.
> He clicks on the lowlatency topic and gets all news related to this suject.
> Easier than that ?
>

> > i'd rather write a faq by hand than have a load of unsorted little
> > tidbits with scattered pieces of information. that's what the list
> > archive is for.
>
> Of course but when did I say "a load of unsorted little tidbits" ??
> You are worrying about too much infos on the news section ?
> I guess when we will be able to publish a couple of news per week, people will be
> more than happy.

maybe i should make myself more clear: i don't like the "short
articles posted by users"-format as a general approach for
everything, because IMHO slashdot et al. are a hell to browse.
for news and announcements, great, because once they're dated you
throw them away, but i'd like to have longer, continuous texts as
well for static content like on some pages of the current lad site,
because they tend to be more concise, better structured and more
easily viewable than many tiny articles.
otherwise, i agree with you.

> BTW: PHPNuke has a builtin faq section where you can add/del items and categories
> dynamically.
> If you do not like it , then you can always resort to a static page.

well, i like it, but i see the problem that the little faq-entry
articles need to be grouped, merged, sorted etc, to be of maximum
use. if that's possible, great. if not, i'd rather have a well
maintained static page. but that's just my opinion.

> > the greatest benefit i see is that we can offer all members a little
> > place to write about themselves, what they do wrt to linux audio,
> > what kind of music they make and what their interests are. must be
> > searchable by name, keyword and project names.
>
> You mean a collection of application using a freshmeat-like DB ?
> That would be nice but I have currently not the time to implement such a beast.
> If you meant something other , let me know.

not as big as freshmeat. just a little database with
name,mail,[project,url,text]...,music,privatestuff etc. to get an
output similar to the current members page but not as a static page,
because it's getting longish and indeed hard to maintain and view.
basically the same principle as with the articles, but with
different fields to make different queries possible and keep a
better control of the layout.

i could set up such a thing in 2 weeks or so.

> > > Ok the phpnuke for lad is up and you (Joern) have already the admin login in
> > > your mailbox.
> > > :-)
> >
> > have glanced at it briefly. need to play more.
> > pages are huge. 11k of candy with zero content. :(
> > but then, i don't want to be called a bit-fiddler, and the lines get
> > faster every year, so what the heck, i have dsl. modem users yell
> > now.
>
> Ah I see why nitpicker is you middle name .. :-)
> I'm accessing the site from a 56K modem and It works just fine.
> Slashdot is certainly much much heavier to load especially when you open those
> pages with
> 1000 comments on it. :-)

:)

sure. the first load is ok, but what i hate about slashdot and
basically all forums is that you often need to load a new page for
every tiny little article or comment, and load all the candy again
and again, which *is* slow, and you can't read offline.
but OTOH, the long load times may result from the banner ads being
dynamic, as the nav and candy stuff could probably be held in cache.

-.-

you see i'm conservative, basically because i've been fiddling with
the old page for so long, and have some new ideas in mind that i
want to implement.
for me, the natural approach would be: keep the old site framework
and add user forums where appropriate (news, announcements and maybe
faq-o-matic. i'm getting really quick at editing it as it is, i
understand what it does without having to read 20 php sourcefiles,
and i can implement new stuff step-by-step. plus i'm a no-bullshit
"offline-capable" fetishist and a bloody nitpicker wrt html :)
phpnuke is too intrusive and heavyweight to fit into this approach.

but then the phpnuke stuff is damn sexy, and would increase the
benefit for the visitors in many respects, it's tested and
maintained and proven useful. it's just that i'm not too strongly
motivated to migrate the page, because i've just spend another 15
hours on the old one a week ago. and of course, my way to do it is
the best ;-)
but i don't want to stand in the way. i'll try to be helpful, but i
wouldn't like to be primary maintainer on a phpnuke system any more,
because i simply don't know enough about its internals (don't say
"web-based admin interface", or i'll bite you) and i won't have time
to grok it until summer vacation.

the operator gets to choose the tools. i agree your tool is very
powerful, but i don't feel comfortable with it yet, and i have a
strong dislike of some minor details (just a matter of style,
really, and no one else will probably care).
why not take over the job, and i'll be helping with content only ?
let me know what you think about it.

all the best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany