Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] One API for everything (first draft)
From: Darwin Marcus Johnson (schwaahed_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 00:18:18 EEST

On Friday 01 June 2001 13:42, Tom Pincince wrote:

> > > as long as we include the possibilty of "float" having a compile-time
> > > switch to mean either 32 or 64 bit floats, I agree. but only compile
> > > time. there should be no support for any format other than whatever
> > > "float" format was chosen at compile time.

I would am not sure but I get the impression that the reason for the switch
being in place would be to allow for the API to be able to match the float
size to the underlying chip architecture so that Alphas can run 64 bit
floats in the audio-engine and Athlons would run 32 bits. Was this the
original context of the above comment?

> > This I don't like. If there are situations where 64 bit floats are
> > really needed in inter-app communication, then it should be available
> > for everyone, not just compiler-enabled people, so to speak. The
> > audio pro who wants extra precision isn't necessarily a skilled
> > computer user.

Isn't there a strong push to avoid conversions, for some folks, and that
being the reason that Integers are being avoided even though there would be
times when these would also be useful, but not enough time to warrant the
conversion within the LAAGA audio-engine (What a long sentence this is?)?

-Darwin

Please don't shoot if I'm wrong