Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 00:45:18 EEST

hello frank !

[cc: to the list, that's why i'm writing in english]

Frank Barknecht wrote:

> brian redfern hat gesagt: // brian redfern wrote:
>
> > Actually the gimp doing video and audio would be the best, I was just
> > thinking about it myself, as an artist I've found that the gimp is
> > really the main reason I got into linux in the first place. A gimp
> > plugin that can load and edit large audio files makes perfect sense to
> > me. I do get a good amount of use out of DAP, but it doesn't handle
> > large audio files well. I tried to record a dj mix this weekend and
> > went through lots of difficulties getting my machine to not freeze
> > up while recording an hour of music. We really need something that
> > can handle large stereo files. Another area where audio gimp plugins
> > could get interesting is to have something similar to meta synth on
> > the mac, which allows you to draw a sound's frequency with images.
>
> Well, I am glad, that I don't have to use Photoshop for soundfile editing
> on the MAC ;-)
>
> SND, sweep and ecasound for recording are stable programs, that have no
> problems with large audio files. I have to deal with large soundfiles every
> day at work. I edit a 30+ minute soundfile each day with SND, that has
> automatically been captured the night before with ecasound.

interesting to hear you work for deutschlandradio. wow.

(for those not from germany: dradio is a nation-wide public radio
station, that means a) there is some money behind it [tax money, to
be exact], b) they can do (and do) otherwise under-featured cultural
stuff even though it doesn't raise millions of listeners, c) they
produce their own (very good) radio plays and d) they have no
commercials.)

i'm even more surprised to hear you use linux stuff at work on a
daily basis.

i wonder if we could do a feature of your work and related linux
deployments somewhere on the net or at LinuxTag, something along the
lines of "Linux Audio Tools in the Industry" or something ?

might be both interesting reading *and* good advertising.

[getting shameless:]
have you ever tried to get some sponsoring money out of your
employer (maybe to fly some developers to a trade show, and have
dradio banners in return) ?
or mustn't your boss know what you're using ? :-)

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany