[linux-audio-dev] lad on the web

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] lad on the web
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 01:06:22 EEST

BTW, www.ladspa.org is a "commercial-grade" website for which I'm currently
paying (quite a lot of money - it seemed like a good idea when I started).
It may well be possible to host more than one site there. If people would
like to investigate the facilities that Demon offer that please feel free.
Also, if I'm being ripped off [unlikely, they've been mostly good] please
let me know.

I must admit I'm not convinced about PHP-Nuke as a front-end. At first
glance it looks fantastic as a developer's portal but not right for a
musician's. Perhaps we should have two sites - one glossy and black,
advocating LADSPA and Linux as the "Audio Purist's" Nirvana, with big
buttons, a few audio snippets and big pictures of audio applications in use
(preferably animated [;-)]).

And one for developers (mentioning critical bands, Huffman encoding, DFTs
and spherical harmonics on the front page to make sure folk know we
understand some stuff about audio as well as computing stuff like LADSPA and
bus/event APIs). For this we should use anything trendy and useful - here I
would encourage PHP-Nuke if it delivers what it promises (as long as the
name doesn't appear anywhere obvious). I must admit what I've seen so far
hasn't inspired me, but if it's trendy then maybe it'll work...
[Incidentally, I'm not convinced by my own argument - it's hard to be when
things like Imerge have happened already.] On the subject of mailing lists
I'd like to comment that a fraction more noise on the list will cause me to
wander elsewhere - the world probably won't mind, but I might not be the
only one.

Incidentally this leaves aside a small third group, of good musicians who
are smart enough to be interested in what a computer can do for them (or
even someone who would like to experiment with traditional computer music
(or audio processing (or audio coding (or code (or C++ (or designing a
decent system (or being useful)))) [tee hee whatever happened to Common
Music?]))). But I think these folk will find (or have found) their way here
anyway.

--Richard

PS I hadn't seen the LAD icon with the four outfacing speakers before. Very
nice.