Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 03:42:38 EEST

Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Jörn Nettingsmeier hat gesagt: // Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
> > interesting to hear you work for deutschlandradio. wow.
> >
> > (for those not from germany: dradio is a nation-wide public radio
> > station, that means a) there is some money behind it [tax money, to
> > be exact], b) they can do (and do) otherwise under-featured cultural
> > stuff even though it doesn't raise millions of listeners, c) they
> > produce their own (very good) radio plays and d) they have no
> > commercials.)
>
> And as DeutschlandRadio gets no money from advertising, the budget is not
> as big as one might hope ;-(

 :(

> > i'm even more surprised to hear you use linux stuff at work on a
> > daily basis.
>
> To be honest: I am the only one using linux and there is only this one
> linux box in the "Funkhaus", the rest is pure Microsoft world. And I am
> not working for the radio program, we do the website.

still, it's a foot in the door.

> The linux box first was only used as a fileserver / internet router
> / backup server. So it is up all the time anyway. With the help
> of ecasound and crontab it now also records part of our program
> everyday, even on weekends. The recordings must be edited, normally
> we use Soundforge XP for this, but Soundforge with big files is so
> slow it hurts. SND on the other hand is quick as hell, given enough
> RAM, which our file server of course has. So I work with linux; my
> colleages still prefer Windows, but only because the server room is
> really loud and cold ;-)

that's what remote x sessions are for...
but then, sitting in the server room is a lot more geeky.

> [BTW, they use Homesite, I use Vim ;)]

and, do you have to hide from the police ?

> > i wonder if we could do a feature of your work and related linux
> > deployments somewhere on the net or at LinuxTag, something along the
> > lines of "Linux Audio Tools in the Industry" or something ?
>
> As I am the only one using linux, I would not speak of "Industry" in our
> case. But I could write a small text, that describes how we have benefited of
> linux audio development. And when ardour becomes usable, it really could be
> an alternative in the radio world to the much more expensive tools used
> now, I think.

maybe john littler will want to do an mstation feature ?
just an idea, but it seems to fit well into his site.
i'd like to read more about it.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany