Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 21:30:31 EEST

Jörn Nettingsmeier hat gesagt: // Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> interesting to hear you work for deutschlandradio. wow.
>
> (for those not from germany: dradio is a nation-wide public radio
> station, that means a) there is some money behind it [tax money, to
> be exact], b) they can do (and do) otherwise under-featured cultural
> stuff even though it doesn't raise millions of listeners, c) they
> produce their own (very good) radio plays and d) they have no
> commercials.)

And as DeutschlandRadio gets no money from advertising, the budget is not
as big as one might hope ;-(

> i'm even more surprised to hear you use linux stuff at work on a
> daily basis.

To be honest: I am the only one using linux and there is only this one
linux box in the "Funkhaus", the rest is pure Microsoft world. And I am
not working for the radio program, we do the website.

The linux box first was only used as a fileserver / internet router
/ backup server. So it is up all the time anyway. With the help
of ecasound and crontab it now also records part of our program
everyday, even on weekends. The recordings must be edited, normally
we use Soundforge XP for this, but Soundforge with big files is so
slow it hurts. SND on the other hand is quick as hell, given enough
RAM, which our file server of course has. So I work with linux; my
colleages still prefer Windows, but only because the server room is
really loud and cold ;-)

[BTW, they use Homesite, I use Vim ;)]

> i wonder if we could do a feature of your work and related linux
> deployments somewhere on the net or at LinuxTag, something along the
> lines of "Linux Audio Tools in the Industry" or something ?

As I am the only one using linux, I would not speak of "Industry" in our
case. But I could write a small text, that describes how we have benefited of
linux audio development. And when ardour becomes usable, it really could be
an alternative in the radio world to the much more expensive tools used
now, I think.

bye,

--
                                                 __    __