[linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 01:14:18 EEST

How do I start?

I am kind of bemused and slightly frustrated at how things are going in
linux when it comes to sound editors. There are two projects right now
where the developers are creating the music version of the Gimp - Sweep
and Glame. Paul and Taybin are also creating a new editor from scratch
and Paul has made his point clear on why he feels it is neccesary. Also
soundtracker is still being addded to and improved. Don't forget the
multitude of Ecasound frontends that keep popping out of the ether.

While I'm all for diversity and totally respect that you guys are doing
it purely for the love of it, it seems kind of pointless that all these
are being worked on seperately. Is there a reason for this indivuality
that goes beyond a simple case of disorganisation?

We all witnissed how much gets achieved when the old schoolers get
together. The last few weeks were pretty hard to digest because of the
speed of interaction.

So my question is... Is any kind of cohesiveness developing on the sound
editor front or are we all going to keep fucking around?

I just noticed yesterday that the gimp now has support for mpeg formats
so that you can save audio and video. It would be quite ironic if the
best sound editor GUI is created by the graphics crowd.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Manager
Boost Hardware.

Importing Korean Computer Hardware to New Zealand.