Re: [linux-audio-dev] Just a thought about a possible hardware hack

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Just a thought about a possible hardware hack
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 13:43:42 EEST

Joe Santapau wrote:

> it was explained to me that the one reason why
> you cannot use two-two channel stereo sound cards
> for multitrack recording was the the crystal on the
> cards that sets the sample rate would not be in total
> sync with each other,
>
> if this is true why can't you jumper two leads from one
> card to another and get rid of the second crystal, if they shared
> the same crytal / or timing mechanism the tracks would be realatively
> close to each other in sampling rates ?

unfortunately, the crystal is not always a nice discrete unit.
i have thought about that a year or so ago, and i didn't find one on
my audiopci card.
there is a hack for this somewhere on the net, but it requires
unsoldering some chip connectors. smd soldering is black art, so i
keep away from it :)

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany