Re: [linux-audio-dev] Please VOTE ! LAD website based on PHPNuke

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Please VOTE ! LAD website based on PHPNuke
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 12:01:57 EEST

On Sun, 03 Jun 2001, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >From: Benno Senoner <sbenno_AT_gardena.net>
> >
> >http://www.abctella.com/linuxaudiodev/
> >http://www.abctella.com/linuxaudiodev/pollBooth.php?pollID=2
>
> They are really confusing-looking pages. Are all stuff related to
> LAD? Even the first article? Why it is visible there? Do I need to
> register in order to discuss? Why not discuss in LAU instead then?
> Do I need to register in order to read LAD on php-nuke?

Juhana, do you realize that this is only a test page that shows how a
phpnuke-based portal is structured.
There is no LAD stuff on the site yet !
The menu itemas can be totally customized (colors etc too).
No one does need to register to comment the stories (ala slashdot) or to post
in eventual forums.

> Why do you have three choises? Now the votes for more pleasant looking
> webpage divides to two last choises.
>
> I would vote only after I see the new LAD webpage. Where at php-nuke
> page you plan to hide the LAD stuff? Are there any room for the LAD stuff
> after all? The screen is already full of the menu boxes!

I partly agree with you on the "final vote".
I think we should try to set up some test page (phpnuke) filled with LAD stuff
(eg the one with the prominent link to the mailinglist info (or better what is
LAD) or alternatively a text explanation) and then see how it looks.

> I maybe forget the purpose of the new pages: what was wrong in old pages?
> What php-nuke takes away? The pleasant look.
> What php-nuke gives? ?? If we just want a new mailing list for
> those who don't bother subscribing to LAU and LAD, it doesn't matter
> where the page is located but it should not force LAD pages to move there
> as well.

We want a portal that represents both the developers community as giving users
access to the LAD stuff too.
A sort of one-stop ressource.

> I think the good look of the pages is important, php-nuke style pages
> could scare people away: advertisements, registerings, subscribings etc.
> all non-relevant to LAD.

no advertisements (have you read my previous mail)
but if we want we can advertise other opensource audio projects. (ardour,ecc
ecc)

folks, thoughts about the issues raised by Juhana ?

I think the final site will need a second round of votes in order to be
approved.
So meanwhile we will experiment a bit until every nitpicker will be satisfied.

cheers,
Benno.