Re: [linux-audio-dev] Just a thought about a possible hardware hack

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Just a thought about a possible hardware hack
From: Ben Bell (bjb_AT_deus.net)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 14:01:06 EEST

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 12:37:56AM -0400, Joe Santapau wrote:
> it was explained to me that the one reason why
> you cannot use two-two channel stereo sound cards
> for multitrack recording was the the crystal on the
> cards that sets the sample rate would not be in total
> sync with each other,
I've actually been wondering about this problem for a while but not mentioned
it because I haven't trawled the archives to see if it's already been
done and dusted.

If you're happy to hack your card about a bit, I believe you can just hack
off the crystal and link up to the other one. My electronics skills are
very basic though and there may be reasons why this would be a bad idea.

Another possible solution might be to use software to sync the cards
(imperfectly) by dropping packets from one buffer when it grows faster
than the other. Obviously this wouldn't be perfect but I would imagine that
the quality would be good enough for many purposes and would make putting
together a cheap four-track quite easy.

Any thoughts on this?

Ben

--