Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Question to developers of sound editors.
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 11:39:20 EEST

Hi!

Brian wrote:
  Actually the gimp doing video and audio would be the
  best, I was just thinking about it myself, as an
  artist I've found that the gimp is really the main
  reason I got into linux in the first place. A gimp
  plugin that can load and edit large audio files makes
  perfect sense to me.

Umm - I dont think that is what people want - imagine a graphics
plugin for GLAME - ugh! (certainly possible, but that doesnt
integrate things with the whole application, but generates an
application inside GLAME)

  I do get a good amount of use out
  of DAP, but it doesn't handle large audio files well.
  I tried to record a dj mix this weekend and went
  through lots of difficulties getting my machine to not
  freeze up while recording an hour of music. We really
  need something that can handle large stereo files.

I sampled two and a half hour of the european grand prix resulting
in a 3GB audio file (stereo, float, 44.1kHz) - GLAME does handle
this just fine (my box has 128MB of ram).

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/