[linux-audio-dev] LinuxTag - Infomail 1

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] LinuxTag - Infomail 1
From: Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 18:00:55 EEST

Hi folks,
LinuxTag is coming closer, and now I finally have enough info to write a
mail about it. Everyone somehow involved in the LAD booth at the
LinuxTag should probably read this; the others may press "d" or whatever
now.

1) Participant list
I have the following people on my list of participants, be it for just
one day or for the entire fair. I'd like those in this list to give me a
short "ack" or "nak", that is, if they are actually going to come or
not. Also, I need to know how long you are going to be present at the
fair so we can organize a bit who can take a break at what time etc (I
think this will not be a big problem, though).

  Frank Neumann ( Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com )
  Matthias Weiss ( matthias.we_AT_gmx.at )
  Steve Harris ( S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk )
  Jörn Nettingsmeier ( nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de )
  Tobias Ulbricht ( ulbricht_AT_tcd.ie )
  Francois Dechelle ( Francois.Dechelle_AT_ircam.fr )
  (Nicola Bernadini: nicb_AT_axnet.it )
  (Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu: umbpux_AT_tin.it )
  Robert Schrem ( robert.schrem_AT_wiredminds.de )
  Jürgen Erhard ( juergen.erhard_AT_gmx.net )
  Josh Green ( jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net )
  Werner Schweer ( ws_AT_seh.de )
  Alexander Ehlert ( alexander.ehlert_AT_uni-tuebingen.de )
  Daniel Kobras ( nold_AT_users.sourceforge.net )
  Richard Guenther ( richi_AT_users.sourceforge.net )

I believe it would be better if you sent your mail directly to me
instead of to this list. Before replying now, though, read the rest of
this mail as there is more info I need to know from you.

2) Travelling to Stuttgart
This is something I can help with only partially; in the next days I'll
scan in a city map of Stuttgart and mark the way to the "Messezentrum"
and where the university is located (it's about 10 km away, so the only
way to get there is probably car or bus). Actually, there is also a
description of how to get to the fair at the Linuxtag's homepage under
http://www.linuxtag.org .

- If you're coming from Germany, things should be clear
- If you're coming from another country, arriving by train or plane, we
need to arrange something. Robert Schrem had offered he might help to
get people from the train station or elsewhere, and if this were really
needed, then I'd very much like to make use of your offer, Robert, as
I'm not from Stuttgart and might be busy with other preparations on
Wednesday (day before the fair begins).

So, be sure to let us know NOW how you get to the LinuxTag and if you
need someone to pick you up from train station or airport. As for
myself, I'll be there by Wednesday, July 4th, somewhere in the afternoon
(3 p.m. or so).

Unfortunately, there will be no sponsoring for us, so you will have to
pay for the travel on your own :-(. Sorry about this, but I'll also have
to take 3 days vacation because our company is in a cost-cutting year
and they can't afford to send employees to congresses/fairs :-(.

3) Sleeping / accomodation
Robert Schrem had offered sleeping places at his flat, but this is not
possible anymore. But that is no problem - the organizer of the free
booths at the LinuxTag have made an agreement with the university to let
people sleep there in the gym hall, and this includes access to showers,
plus breakfast and dinner (simple, but what do you expect? :-). For more
details, please go to www.infodrom.ffis.de/Debian/events/LinuxTag2001/
and read the "Infomail #xx" links on the left side). As for dinner, at
least at one of the 4 days there'll be a "social event" right at the
fair with food&beverages where we'll probably be allowed to join for a
special price. As for the other days, we might (instead of having dinner
at the university) decide to go somewhere downtown to a local
restaurant.

So, here I need to know from all participants how many nights they want
to sleep at the gym hall, how many breakfasts they'd like to have etc.
You might want to use the form that is in "Infomail #3" at the above
link, but please send the filled out snippet to me directly because I
want to collect all of this information on behalf of our group.

I understand not everyone might feel comfortable when thinking of
sleeping on air matress/sleeping bag in a gym hall, but it's really the
best I can offer - if you want to go to a hotel or youth hostel, you're
on your own. But, believe me - it's actually a rather funny time I had
earlier when we had Amiga computer meetings and some >100 geeks were
snorting in a large room - just don't forget your ear plugs! :-).

4) Available hardware
I'm building up a list here..more info perhaps in the next mail.

5) Insurance of hardware
As we are going to have quite a bit of valuable hardware at the booth, I
need some kind of insurance against theft, damage etc. No more info
available on this yet, but I have someone who is looking into this for
me.

6) The booth
Still no info on the actual dimensions of the booth - Martin Schulze
says "there is enough space", and I have reserved space for two "demo
stations" (table with place for PC keyboard, monitor, keyboard, active
speakers, rack etc) plus some possible extra space for notebooks and the
like, but I still don't know the geometry. I hope this will be cleared
up soon.

We will want some banners which tell what our booth is all about. Right
now my best idea is to have our logo and possible some more text printed
across a large (1x5 sheets if A4 paper) printout which gets fixed over
the booth. I know how to do this and we have a color printer at the
company I can peruse for this, so that's at least a first "for-sure"
choice. If someone else has got better ideas/choices, please speak up.

It would be good if we could prepare some kind of leaflets we can hand
out to interested people; such a leaflet should contain information like
- Purpose of the group
- names of projects with URLs
Typesetting this and having it printed/folded is not too difficult, but
we need the actual content, and it will cost something; maybe I can
arrange some kind of sponsoring with the Debian folks or someone else
who got some money to give away..

6) Projects, or: who shows off what?
This is the item we should probably have started discussing weeks ago;
sorry for being late. What follows is a short list of applications that
came to my mind, and I'd like to see you participants to step forward
and tell me what applications you think you want to demonstrate there.
This would mean you have written the particular piece of software or
used it for while, know how to handle it and can prepare some demo
material for it. A few days before the fair begins, you should then send
me the requirements/data files you have so I can prepare/install
whatever software you need on the demo machines (one will be mine, the
second might come from Jörn or Robert Schrem).

My current list of projects:
  LADSPA and Plugins
  http://www.ladspa.org

  Octal (Tracker; Synthesizer - ready for showing?)
  http://www.gnu.org/software/octal
  http://dto.qwsi.net

  Ardour (Harddisk recorder)
  http://ardour.sourceforge.net
  (need a sort-of stable version and compile instructions :-\)

  Muse (QT-based MIDI sequencer)
  http://muse.seh.de

  sweep, gnoise, xwave - sample editing
  {sweep,gnoise}.sourceforge.net

  ecasound/ecawave
  http://ecasound.cx

  terminatorX
  http://terminatorX.cx

  smurf
  http://smurf.sourceforge.net

  soundtracker (+buzz-Plugins?)
  http://www.soundtracker.org

  Glame
  http://glame.sourceforge.net

  denemo + Lilypond
  denemo.sourceforge.net
  http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/lilypond/

  cdrecord + XCDRoast
  (...)

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html
  http://www.xcdroast.org/

  Solfege? (ear training - learn to hear chords etc)
  sidplay? (good ol' tunes :-)
  xmms?
  gdam?

  snd?

  LowLatency-Graphs
  (just have some printouts of graphs and stick them to the booth
somewhere?)

General large "demo units":
- Working with samples (gnoise, sweep, xwave *sic* etc).

- Producing music - from idea to the song on a CD. Need to refine this a
little, but it's basically something like:
  idea -> sequencing (MusE) -> recording (Ardour) -> burning (cdrtools)

- Interactive toys and "eye candy": real-time FFT of audio (xanalyser),
  xmms with nice eye-catching plugins (Goom, Waterfall, Jakdaw etc..)

- Voice experiments: Something like vocoders, pitchshifting? Microphone
is there, software needs to be prepared for this. I think of demos of
e.g. Freeverb, Decimator, using the Multiband EQ to produce "phone
line"-like voices, using a pitchshifter to make rapidly fast speakers
etc - anything people could find interesting or amusing

- Sound design with Csound/csfe (italian guys, are you there? :-)

- Softsynths? (Spiralsound, RTSynth, ...)

- Creating rhythm patterns and building a library out of it - e.g. by
converting/enhancing the Jazzware Rhythm library to use it under MusE.

- Speech synthesis? Festvox? (got no experience with that yet - anyone?)

- Showing how standard MIDI files from the net can be played either with
soundfonts on a SBLive! like card, or adapt them to the synths we're
gonna have there

- Music typesetting and printing with Denemo/Lilypond (anyone got an old
laser printer he could bring with him?)

Please think about which of these you could handle good enough to show
it off at the fair. If there are other programs you are good at, let us
know.

That's all for now. Now, booth participants, please reply to me directly
(Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com) with the information I requested from you above.
Anyone else, send your comments and suggestions to the list as usual.

Thanks for reading,
Frank

--
      Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com), VIONA Development Center
            ST Microelectronics, Karlstraße 27, 76133 Karlsruhe