[linux-audio-dev] future linuxaudiodev.org site ... Was: Re: lad on the web

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] future linuxaudiodev.org site ... Was: Re: lad on the web
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 17:26:10 EEST

After hearing the opinions of the various folks out here,
I'm realizing that it is probably best to keep the front page static with
possibly a few headlines on the lower part so that visitors can quickly check
out what's new and at the same time first time visitors see what the LAD group
does.
Being the news SQL based, it's easy to write a script that exports the headlines
and includes them in it the LAD homepage via a PHP include.

We can utilize some feautures of the phpnuke engine but we do not need to make
it a phpnuke-only site.

As I already told to Jörn, he does not have to throw away his stuff in favour
of phpnuke.
I think we need to combine both in order to provide users as much infos and
ressources about the linux audio world as we can.

I think Jon Littler has done a pretty nice work with mstation.org too and the
ideal would be to have him either post a weekly mstation.org summary on the mail
LAD portal, or to have a dedicated box with the headlines that link to
mstation.org. ( John , thoughts ?)

Personally I would like to have a site that summarizes up pretty much
everything what's available on the linux audio field.
(links to sites for newbies, users mailinglists ,links to applications ,
development ressources ecc ecc)
It's a too big amount of work to browse several sites scattered around the web
in order to find what you want.
For example for the links , phpnuke's link db works pretty nicely you can have
categories , sub-categories and have the users themselves submitting their own
links (the admin must approve the new links).

I saw a posting that said "the lad site is just the homepage for a mailinglist".
I do not agree that much with this definition since an audio community is made
up by both developers and end-users using their software (reporting bugs,
suggesting new features ecc ecc).
I think one of the keys for the success of an audio community is communication
between users and developers.
Such a portal would be very beneficial for this user-developer interaction.

Folks what do you envision for the future LAD site ?

I pretty much agree with the posting below that one LADer leaved on the test
site I set up:

-----
 voted "static with embedded news" - that doesn't
                    mean I neccessarily think that the web page should
                    be static .html, dynimaic generated is of course
                    more flexible. But I do not think that the web
                    site should be "news-oriented" that we see so
                    much of all the time nowadays. LAD is a mailing
                    list and the mailing list is the news.

                    What would be *wonderful* though, if someone had
                    the time, is some kind of LAD Kernel Cousin, or
                    maybe like a LAD Weekly News, possibly tracking
                    more linux/audio related mailing lists than just
                    LAD, such as project-specific mailing lists.

                    Best Wishes,
                    Simon Kagedal.

----

Benno.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001, you wrote: > BTW, www.ladspa.org is a "commercial-grade" website for which I'm currently > paying (quite a lot of money - it seemed like a good idea when I started). > It may well be possible to host more than one site there. If people would > like to investigate the facilities that Demon offer that please feel free. > Also, if I'm being ripped off [unlikely, they've been mostly good] please > let me know. > > I must admit I'm not convinced about PHP-Nuke as a front-end. At first > glance it looks fantastic as a developer's portal but not right for a > musician's. Perhaps we should have two sites - one glossy and black, > advocating LADSPA and Linux as the "Audio Purist's" Nirvana, with big > buttons, a few audio snippets and big pictures of audio applications in use > (preferably animated [;-)]). > > And one for developers (mentioning critical bands, Huffman encoding, DFTs > and spherical harmonics on the front page to make sure folk know we > understand some stuff about audio as well as computing stuff like LADSPA and > bus/event APIs). For this we should use anything trendy and useful - here I > would encourage PHP-Nuke if it delivers what it promises (as long as the > name doesn't appear anywhere obvious). I must admit what I've seen so far > hasn't inspired me, but if it's trendy then maybe it'll work... > [Incidentally, I'm not convinced by my own argument - it's hard to be when > things like Imerge have happened already.] On the subject of mailing lists > I'd like to comment that a fraction more noise on the list will cause me to > wander elsewhere - the world probably won't mind, but I might not be the > only one. > > Incidentally this leaves aside a small third group, of good musicians who > are smart enough to be interested in what a computer can do for them (or > even someone who would like to experiment with traditional computer music > (or audio processing (or audio coding (or code (or C++ (or designing a > decent system (or being useful)))) [tee hee whatever happened to Common > Music?]))). But I think these folk will find (or have found) their way here > anyway. > > --Richard > > PS I hadn't seen the LAD icon with the four outfacing speakers before. Very > nice. -- http://www.linuxaudiodev.com The Home of Linux Audio Development