Re: [linux-audio-dev] CSL-0.1.2 Release

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] CSL-0.1.2 Release
From: Alexander Ehlert (alexander.ehlert_AT_uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 18:18:09 EEST

Hi,

> > important. If OSS had looked more like the IRIX audio I/O library, I
> > think ALSA would look very different today, for example. That library
> > only supports float32 data, for example.
>
> Though the IRIX adoption does not imply it's the right choice...

I personally think that the SGI Audiofile library has one of the best
API's by far. It's generic and it supports a lot more than float32 data.
In the meantime we have version 0.2.1 btw and the afVirtual methods are
implemented, too. It might lack support for some audioformats, but instead
writing new libs I'll rather put my efforts into putting more features
into libaudiofile. It even supports mp3 format by now, not officially
though, but there's a patch for it.

Speaking API I find ALSA very confusing. Somehow I'd like to have
something like an OpenGL for music. Having a lib that has a set of
features that can be done in hardware with software fallbacks for
soundcards lacking certain features. For example just having the
possibility to send data in non interleaved fashion float32 to an
audiodevice and the lib converts it to the right format for the underlying
hardware. I thought ALSA is actually supposed to do that? Is that
possible anyway with the current API? Is it just not implemented or
already there and I don't know it :)

Anyway I suggest having a look at the dmedia sdk and the audiofile API.
That's how it should be done.

Cheers, Mag