Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA proposal, part ??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA proposal, part ??
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 01:07:47 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >> so, i ask again, what's missing?
> >
> >Can you show me:
> >1) a C++ header that show classes and method
>
> the most recent version of the API is in C, and is intended to remain
> that way. I showed you the header in the mail message. It is missing
> mostly just the definition of a port and nframes_t. I will add that,
> and send it again. the client side API doesn't include any other
> objects or functions than the ones I showed. there is the issue of
> gain control which i have left out (temporarily).
>
> >2) a main with C++ pseudo-code that run an hard disk recorder (i.e.
> >input from disk, hw PCM, synthesizer all passed through some plugin
> >chains and output to disk, hw PCM). I think it's a sample application
> >you find comfortable, don't you? ;-)
>
> Ardour has already been ported to something very close to this
> model. I have not yet added metering, and input monitoring is deeply
> problematic but everything else works.

If you read my recent message about this you will see that with "flow"
concept this can be solved elegantly.

> This version is a branch from the mainline CVS version and I have not
> checked it in at this time.
>
> the main() function doesn't do anything interesting. I think you are
> interested in the interaction of the client and the engine, but thats
> not part of the API and is transparent to the client (which just
> supplies callback functions). it happens via mechanisms that are not
> specified. i happen to have an implementation of that, but you seem to
> dislike getting into implementation detail so early ;)

No, it's only that a complete implementation may be harder to
read/understand.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!