Re: [linux-audio-dev] CSL-0.1.2 Release

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] CSL-0.1.2 Release
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 01:24:11 EEST

Simon Per Soren Kagedal wrote:

> > The problem of efforts splitting is very severe as everybody (at least
> > in theory) agree. This is why I advocate *one* API for everything.
>
> You keep saying that, and I'm starting to be afraid that you actually
> mean it. Please define "everything". Are you saying now that the
> ALSA API and library is going to deal with all sorts of weird file
> formats?

I'm saying that an application should not be rewritten if its input is a
plugin output, an HW capture PCM, a file, the output of another
application or something other.

This is the same principle that makes Unix so great.

> I say that a much bigger problem than efforts splitting is huge APIs
> and applications that tries to be everything for everyone. The LAAGA
> that is being discussed and proposed is an *abstraction*, a
> simplification and it *intentionally* hides details that the audio
> programs intended for its use should not / need not worry about. This

If LAAGA does not give us a way to read data from a .wav stereo 16 bit
file *without* to convert it, or a way to change some working parameter
of audio components, LAAGA will never be the key to the audio
modularization we want for a professional level sound architecture.

> is a good thing. It is a proposed *layer on top of* ALSA, stopping no
> one from using ALSA directly. If it's not, then here's some other
> "duplicated efforts" for you:
>
> * fread() vs. read()
> * GTK vs. GDK
> * TCP vs. IP :)
> * OpenGL vs. whatever's below it

I'm not at all against layerization, I'm against layer that are not
general enough to cope with intrinsical problem complexities.

And please stop speaking of ALSA, I'm *not* proposing current PCM ALSA
API for this job, it's not general enough and it's missing some needed
concept (properties, flows, etc.). BTW from what I deduce LAAGA would be
even less general.

> > The same API to read/write from a file or a PCM. This is what I'm
> > proposing.
>
> Someone else proposes the same API to read from a local file, a file
> in a tar.gz or an URL (e.g., gnome-vfs), and they'll want to use this
> API whether it's an audio file or a word processor document.

I don't understand the correlation.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!