Re: [linux-audio-dev] CSL-0.1.2 Release

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] CSL-0.1.2 Release
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 14:55:16 EEST

>I have the "Audio and MIDI on Mac OS X" document sitting in my "list
>of things to read" stack, but its a pretty tall stack these days --
>have any LAD-folks considered the pros and cons of simply adopting
>this spec for Linux, and doing a compatible implementation? If there

I did. But:

1) its playback only (!!!)
2) its general model of library design is very Apple-ish, which
      is hard to see being widely loved :)
3) there's no support for data sharing between applications

Its not clear whether the "engine" that drives the AudioUnits is in
kernel space or user space. If its in kernel space, then they at least
have "multiprocess support", but in a way that most Linux people would
hardly approve of. If its in user space, its not clear to me what the
status of multiprocess support is from the API.

>are no Intellectual Property issues, and if the spec meets the needs
>of the community, there is a real upside in being compatible with the
>future Macintosh, given its popularity in the pro audio community ...

it remains to be seen how popular OS-X is going to be in that
community. one would assume that ProTools and the other flagship apps
will get ported, but i haven't seen any announcements about this yet.

--p