Re: [linux-audio-dev] CSL-0.1.2 Release

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] CSL-0.1.2 Release
From: Francois Dechelle (Francois.Dechelle_AT_ircam.fr)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 15:35:06 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >I have the "Audio and MIDI on Mac OS X" document sitting in my "list
> >of things to read" stack, but its a pretty tall stack these days --
> >have any LAD-folks considered the pros and cons of simply adopting
> >this spec for Linux, and doing a compatible implementation? If there
>
> I did. But:
>
> 1) its playback only (!!!)

I think the current implementation is playback only, because it only
supports the Macintosh built-in hardware. But the API is capture/playback.

> 2) its general model of library design is very Apple-ish, which
> is hard to see being widely loved :)
> 3) there's no support for data sharing between applications

and I would add 4) it is very OS-dependent

> Its not clear whether the "engine" that drives the AudioUnits is in
> kernel space or user space. If its in kernel space, then they at least
> have "multiprocess support", but in a way that most Linux people would
> hardly approve of. If its in user space, its not clear to me what the
> status of multiprocess support is from the API.

I'll give it a try; my expectation is that the AudioUnits engine
is completely in user space and a AudioUnit is a plug-in ala LADSPA or VST.

> >are no Intellectual Property issues, and if the spec meets the needs
> >of the community, there is a real upside in being compatible with the
> >future Macintosh, given its popularity in the pro audio community ...
>
> it remains to be seen how popular OS-X is going to be in that
> community. one would assume that ProTools and the other flagship apps
> will get ported, but i haven't seen any announcements about this yet.
>
> --p

Be sure that the adoption of Mac OS X in the audio market will take
some time, if it is ever adopted. Steinberg has announced Nuendo, but
the OS X drivers for multi-channel audio hardware are still not here.

François