Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 17:42:45 EEST

>Are you now speaking of a physical setup or about the equivalent
>(i.e. all nodes above exchanged with an app) software setup?

either.

>For the physical setup you plug before the quadra (i.e. a connection
>that is not visible above)? Or you plug between the quadra and the
>mixer?

before the quadra. for example, the quadra used to be connected to
component X and was doing reverb on it. i'll disconnect it because now
i want to connect it to ... oh, hang on, i haven't started that
application yet ... starts jMax ... wait, what happened to the audio?

>So there remains the case that you dont plug anything, but the quadra
>app simply stops producing output with the connection still active.
>This is obviously a bug in the quadra app (it has to be considered as
>such for my model as else the mixer will stall).

i don't see how it can be an error in the application. the problem is
not that the application doesn't know how to produce output without an
input connection. the problem is that the application is never
executed. if it was executed, we'd get output (silence). but its not
executed because nothing ever queues a buffer to its input.

thats why you need an engine. i think.

--p