Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 19:38:38 EEST

>I think that eventually, like a mixing board, people will hook up their
>favorite apps in a way that they like to use them for audio projects (
>like in a studio ) and it would be nice if you didn't have to disconnect
>and reconnect them. Just like why I sold mu 8 channel mixer for a 12
>channel mixer, I was tired of hooking things up and disconnecting them :)

if i'm working on a piece of music, and i decide i want to add the
output of <some-soft-synth> that i haven't used so far on the project,
then i have to do some reconnecting. more importantly, most modern
CPU's don't have the power to leave jMax, Csound, terminatorX, spiral
loops, and so forth "silent running" while i'm working with, say,
RTsynth. so of necessity, you need to start/stop clients from time to
time, and starting them means making and breaking connections.

--p