Re: [linux-audio-dev] Article about multithreading

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Article about multithreading
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent_AT_ulyssis.org)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 20:08:38 EEST

Benno Senoner wrote:

>Hello,
>I've seen this on slashdot:
>http://www.systemlogic.net/articles/01/6/multithreading/
>I've not had the time to read it yet but judging from the index it seems
>interesting and I think it's a good read for us audio folks.

I read it, but it is mostly about *hardware support* for multithreading.
For those of us that crave acronyms it's about CMP, CMT, FMT etc. ; )
It is really a good read (especially the slipstream technique seems very
ingenious).

But it doesn't help us audio folks in coding nice featureful and low
latency audio apps I'm afraid...

...Unless someone implements some technique described in this article (I
forgot the acronym :) to automagically extract threads from single
threaded code. Then we could toss multithreading overboard and start
coding giant balls of single threaded mud :).

Don't count on it though.

Regards
Vincent