Re: [linux-audio-dev] Setting up a vocoder demo?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Setting up a vocoder demo?
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 22:38:33 EEST

Frank Neumann wrote:

> Hi *,
> for LinuxTag, I thought a nice demo would be to show some kind of
> vocoder under Linux. My idea goes like this:
> - Put two soundcards in a machine, one gets input from a microphone, the
> other gets string-type chords from a synth.
> - The vocoder software uses these two as carrier and modulator to
> produce some nice alien/space/scifi type of sounds/voices
> - This is put out again through one of the two soundcards. Both are
> Emu10k1 based, so I think both are able to do duplex pcm
> recording/playing at 16 bit.
>
> - Of course, all of this should be done in realtime.
>
> The only question I have: What software to use? I have found a few links
> at Dave Phillips' page, but I have no experience with these programs; do
> any of you have actual "stage experience" with one of them?
>
> Names I found:
> - Packages from the NoTAM group
> - PVC
> - PVNation
> - XVox
> - Zerius Vocoder
>
> Opinions, anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

I just adapted a vocoder from:
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uno4/linux/
to LADSPA. I'm still doing some testing on it (trying to get ecasound to
work with an SB Live! card in full duplex mode). I'll let you know when
I have something functioning. The plugin seems to work fine (tested with
2 wav file inputs for the Formant and Carrier signals) so I just need to
work out the ecasound stuff. Lates..
        Josh Green