Re: [linux-audio-dev] Article about multithreading

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Article about multithreading
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent_AT_ulyssis.org)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 19:44:58 EEST

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> [cut] Deadlock is
> really programmer error, so trying to avoid it is a really misplaced
> effort.

Yes I see. But I think you mean allowing deadlocks
to happen and then resolving by backtracking is bad ?
I don't think "deadlock avoidance" costs, by which
I mean programming as such that deadlocks _never_ happen,
 and that can be done, the easiest way is to acquire
all resource before your thread starts, not that is in
any way achievable generally.

Regards
Vincent