Re: [linux-audio-dev] laaga: withdrawal/amendment of automated mixing proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] laaga: withdrawal/amendment of automated mixing proposal
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 19:26:54 EEST

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 08:05:47AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> i realized that a better way to do it is to drop direct access to the
> port's buffer, and do this (to use the simple "through" client example):
>
> int process (nframes_t nframes, void *arg)
>
> {
> sample_t in = audioengine_port_get_buffer (my_input);
> sample_t out = audioengine_port_get_buffer (my_output);
> memcpy (out, in, sizeof (sample_t) * nframes);
> }

Theres another advantage to this too, the client may not always need all
the input buffers, eg. the serial multiplexer we discussed here a few
weeks ago, it only uses two or three of its 9 input ports at any one time.

There might be an argument for audioengine_port_get_mixed_buffer and
audioengine_port_get_all_buffers, but I can't think of a good one. It does
allow multiple non-audio connections, assuming the client can do its own
mixing.

- Steve