[linux-audio-dev] LinuxTag Infomail #3

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] LinuxTag Infomail #3
From: Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 17:42:36 EEST

Hi again,
here's the 3rd infomail for the (now really) upcoming LinuxTag 2001.

The booth
---------
Finally, Joey gave me the dimensions of our booth - and I'm very happy
to say that it is in fact larger than I expected. We get a 5m wide by 3
m deep booth, plus an extra 1 meter in depth which can be used to store
things (that area will be behind a wall, with a door and lock). This
should give us plenty
of space for the things we're planning to show. For a simple graph of
the booths, look at
http://www.infodrom.ffis.de/Debian/events/LinuxTag2001/map.php3 We are
booth 5.0.334.3. The grid points are 1m apart.

In fact, this allows for one extra exhibitor at our booth: Peter
'shurdeek' Surda from Austria will bring his Multimedia Jukebox with
him, which is - if I understood him correctly - a MP3 encoder/player
system all-in-a-box he developed as a private hobby. He'll be doing live
demonstrations there ("one-click to encode"), and the list of features
sounded quite interesting. He asked me if he could join us, and as I
think his project is close enough to "audio developers", I let him in.
For pictures of his box, please take a look at
http://ten.panorama.sth.ac.at and then under /pics/good/main-new.jpg and
pics/goof/fitsnicely.jpg . I had some problems accessing these pages as
he uses some kind of port redirector, but this is probably just because
we're behind a firewall here.

Sleeping
--------
I hope those of you who wish to sleep at the university in the gym hall
have mailed your reservations to Joey by now - he was rather surprised
that he only got some 25 reservations so far from all projects that take
part, so if you haven't yet sent him your reservation, do so now ->
http://www.infodrom.ffis.de/Debian/events/LinuxTag2001/infomail-3.html
Fill out the form and send it to joey_AT_linuxtag.org. By the way, you
should also read all of the (currently) 5 infomails you find there. I
won't repost them all here. Especially #5 which deals with booth
design&security might be interesting. This takes us to the next point -

Insurance
---------
I understand we'll have quite some valuable hardware there (including my
own), so we need some kind of insurance against theft or damage. I'm
currently negotiating with someone here from Karlsruhe; I hope I have
more information on Monday next week. _If_ we decide to sign an
insurance contract with them, they'll need a list of the hardware; but
this can be given to them rather shortly before the fair begins (at
least 1 or 2 days before the fair, I'd guess). I don't yet know the
price of their insurance, and in case it's
"unrealistically high", I guess I just drop that thought (at least for
my hardware). I know some of you won't like this, and you might want to
insure your hardware on your own then.

Name tags
---------
It probably makes some sense if we have name tags so people can tell
we're actually booth staff and not visitors. I'll prepare everything
here - I found simple, but sufficient holders for the name plates, and
I'll create 13 of these name tags for everyone who agreed to staff the
booth (plus some empty tags just in case..). I have these names on my
list now; if someone is missing or I made a typo, yell at me now.

Frank Neumann
Matthias Weiss
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Tobias Ulbricht
Robert Schrem (*)
Jürgen Erhard
Josh Green
Werner Schweer (*)
Alexander Ehlert
Daniel Kobras
Richard Guenther
Benno Senoner (*)
Peter Surda

(*) will not be there all of the time

T-Shirts
--------
Hehe :-). Oh well, "no fair or congress without T-shirts" or so. My
suggestion is that we have a copy shop print our logo plus some simple
slogan like "...sounds good!" on the back of white t-shirts and wear
these as another sign we're booth staff. This is not required; just a
suggestion. If you are interested, please let me know how many T-shirts
you want to have. They'll cost around 19,- DM here (oh, and we might
need more than one, unless you want to hang around there in the same
clothes for 4 hot days :-}). Ok, first we might need some actual
design...

Instruments
-----------
I had hoped some local shop would lend us some MIDI hardware, speakers
etc. for free if we give them some advertising at the fair, but they
told me on Monday they'll charge us for that. So, I dumped that idea. I
believe whatever we can come up with ourselves should be enough.

Jörn, I can't find your mail with your hardware offer - could you sum up
what computer/music equipment you plan to bring with you?

Flyers
------
I mailed several people last week asking if they were willing to sponsor
production of flyers if we print their logo/address/whatever on the back
of such flyers, and today I seem to have found someone here - it's a
local university bookstore here in Karlsruhe. This is still not 100%
sure (I need to get better prices than those I have so far), but
basically this means we should start now thinking about what content to
put into such a flyer. My suggestion would be to make it a "z-folded" A4
paper, printed on both sides. It should contain (I think I'm repeating
myself here) who LAD is/are, what they have achieved so far, some short
description of "popular" applications and a bunch of URLs for further
information. If someone's willing to put some work into this (only the
content for now; I would do the typesetting myself with a certain style
file for LaTeX, I did this before), I'd appreciate that.

L8er,
Frank

PS: If some of you think I'm a going too fast there (flyers..T-shirts
etc), feel free to cool me down. I just try to do something similar to
what we did with the Debian booth last year; not all of this might be
appropriate for LAD (yet?), but this is just such a good chance to raise
a lot of people's attention that this (IMHO rather bright) group
actually exists...

--
      Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com), VIONA Development Center
            ST Microelectronics, Karlstraße 27, 76133 Karlsruhe